Applecake from Skåne with custard
A delicious Scanian apple cake
- Servings6 Portions
- AllergensEggs, Milk, Wheat
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time45 min
A good apple cake that may not look so exciting, but makes up for it in taste. It's not a particularly sweet apple cake, so I almost think it's a requirement to have custard with this. The Scanian apple cake is a common dessert for a "goose dinner".
Instead of cooking an apple compote, you can mix the apples with a few dl of applesauce, but I think it will probably be a little better with the compote.
I use "Aroma" apples here, but it works well with many other varieties too. Apples from österlen are of course preferred :)
Served here with homemade custard, which can be prepared an hour or so before and kept in the fridge. Can also be served with ice cream or whipped cream.
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Mix the dark rye bread to crumbs and mix in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan or pot and lightly brown the butter.
- Fry the bread for a few minutes in the butter and then add the spices. Fry for another minute and then turn off the plate and continue with the apple compote.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into larger pieces.
- Place apples, sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Cook to a compote.
- Layer bread mix and apple compote in an ovenproof dish.
- Bake in oven, 175°C, 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
- Boil the cream, milk and vanilla powder in a saucepan.
- Pour the warm milk mixture slowly over the egg mixture while stirring constantly.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and simmer on a lower heat until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and refrigerate until serving.