Chicken gratin with sundried tomatoes
Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and creamy parmesan sauce
Here comes a very good gratin that is perfect as a weekday evening meal. With Italian flavors from sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan, it's sure to be a favorite in the family.
This is a slightly revised version of Tareq Taylor's popular gratin. I changed some measurements and added some maizena (corn starch) to thicken the sauce.
Although I use ready-made chicken thigh fillets without bones or skin, it is necessary to go through the meat for any small pieces of bone that need to be cut away. I also divide the fillets into 2 larger pieces (strips if I serve with pasta) as it is easier to fry and fits better when serving.
The original recipe says that this gratin should be served with pasta, which is fine, but I think boiled rice would be even better. I also tried it with boiled potatoes, which turned out decent.
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Fry the chicken in the butter at a medium temperature until it gets a little color all around.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the other ingredients by shredding the tomatoes, peeling/squeezing the garlic and grating the cheese.
- Put the chicken in an oven dish, salt and pepper.
- Fry the shredded tomatoes and the pressed garlic briefly in the same frying pan in which the chicken was fried.
- Pour in some of the water and all the cornstarch. Be sure to stir (or lightly whisk) everything so there are no lumps, then pour in the rest of the water.
- Add the sambal oelek, the dried spices, the stock cube and the cream.
- Heat and simmer lightly for a few minutes.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until it melts. Season with salt if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the oven dish.
- Bake in the middle of the oven, approx. 15 minutes.
- When the gratin is ready, take it out of the oven and let it stand for a minute.
- Divide and lay out the tomatoes and basil leaves over the gratin.
- Serve with pasta or rice.