Swedish Pizza Salad
Cabbage salad served as a side dish at Swedish pizzerias
- Servings10 Portions
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
Pizza salad is a collective name for a number of cheap and filling salads that are served as side dishes in Swedish pizzerias. They contain cabbage, oil, vinegar essence (or vinegar). It should stand and infuse for a few hours (or often one or more days) and last a few days in the fridge.
The salad actually originates in northeastern Italy/Croatia where it is called "kupus salata" which then spread to Sweden through Giuseppe "Peppino" Sperandio who opened Pizzeria Piazza Opera in Stockholm in 1969. (Source: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzasallad)
This particular pizza salad tastes just like the one I remember from when I was younger and we bought some fancy pizzas in the town where I grew up. I've tried a few different recipes, all of which have something to offer, but this particular combination of flavors is nostalgic for me. If you want to have grilled paprika in it, it's easy to just throw it in before putting the salad in the fridge. Then just shred a pre-bought grilled paprika in oil into small pieces.
|Energy||561.64 kcal||56.16 kcal||76 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||51.43 g||5.14 g||6.96 g|
|Fat||39.83 g||3.98 g||5.39 g|
|Protein||6.95 g||0.69 g||0.94 g|
|Sugar||34.36 g||3.44 g||4.65 g|
|Salt||6.28 g||0.63 g||0.85 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Finely shred the cabbage. Preferably in a food processor, otherwise a cheese grater works too.
- Mix the other ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat immediately after boiling and add the shredded cabbage - mix well.
- Pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge for a few hours (preferably 1-2 days).