A simple variation of Shepherd's pie
I'm not entirely sure if this recipe is particularly classic or not, but it's good anyway. Many other recipes contain both peas and corn and if you want, it is easy to just add this to the meat filling, but for my own part, I usually don't do this.
Personally, I make a similar variation of Shepherd's pie if I had a larger amount of bolognese left over - I just add a little Worcestershire sauce and tabasco to the bolognese and then cover this with mashed potatoes and cheese. But if I choose to cook it from scratch, this is the recipe I use.
It is a really good recipe that can be prepared in a few different ways. Among other things, you can prepare the meat filling the day before and store it in the fridge. It is also possible to prepare the mashed potatoes. Or you can prepare the whole dish with meat filling and mashed potatoes, cover with plastic wrap or similar and store it in the fridge for a day. Then you can just take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature while the oven heats up.
|Energy||3685.12 kcal||614.19 kcal||128 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||250.19 g||41.7 g||8.69 g|
|Fat||230.61 g||38.43 g||8.01 g|
|Protein||165.25 g||27.54 g||5.74 g|
|Sugar||44.62 g||7.44 g||1.55 g|
|Salt||14.4 g||2.4 g||0.50 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Peel and chop the onion, carrot and celery into smaller pieces.
- Fry the chopped onion, carrot and celery in the oil for a few minutes.
- Add the minced lamb and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and stir.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add worcestershire sauce, tabasco and soy sauce and stir.
- Let everything simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour the meat filling into an ovenproof dish.
- Peel, slice and boil the potatoes.
- Mix in butter, milk, egg yolk and cheese one by one and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over meat filling.
- Cook in the oven, 200°C for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool a bit and then enjoy.