Quick pickled cucumber
Pickled cucumber in a flash
- Servings4 Portions
- Prep Time10 min
- Rest Time60 min
A quick variation on pickled cucumber. There are lots of variations, but I like this one, which is partly quick, but also good as a side dish to lots of dishes. For me, this is the perfect accompaniment to the Swedish classic meatballs with cream sauce. It is also possible to use this cucumber for hamburgers, but then I make sure to slice the cucumber into thicker slices.
If you are going to use this cucumber for fish, it is good to replace the parsley with dill.
If you want, you can also squeeze out a little liquid from the cucumber after slicing it. Instead of pressing, you can leave the sliced cucumber in a colander with a little salt for around an hour and it will release some liquid as well.
I use a small mandolin to thinly slice the cucumber. I like it really thin, but of course it's a matter of taste.
Served cold in a bowl or as a side dish on the plate - the liquid is usually not included.
Keeps up to a week in the fridge.
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Rinse and slice the cucumber finely with a mandolin, food processor or cheese grater.
- Mix water, vinegar and sugar in a bowl (avoid stainless steel as it can react with the vinegar) - stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add salt, white pepper and parsley and stir.
- Add the finely sliced cucumber and mix.
- Pour into a jar with a lid and store in the fridge.
- Let stand for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.