Gluten free pancakes
Pancakes without gluten
- Servings8 Portions
- AllergensEggs, Milk
- Prep Time10 min
- Rest Time15 min
- Cook Time20 min
Gluten-free pancakes that are very close to regular (Swedish) pancakes in taste and texture. I use a combination of corn starch, corn flour and rice flour (as a substitute for wheat flour) as this is relatively easy to find in most stores these days. Of course, you can use one of the gluten-free flour mixes that you can buy as well, but I wanted to try it out a bit and thought that the mix I used here gave a good result.
I also use a small amount of Xanthan gum (E415) in this recipe to hold the batter together, but you can leave it out if you don't want to use it. As far as xanthan gum is concerned, it is important to check that it is gluten-free. Most of the time it's made from corn, but it can also be made from wheat, which makes it contain gluten - so check the ingredient used to be sure.
If you compare these pancakes to regular ones made with wheat flour, they are a bit more fragile, so I had to be a little more careful with them in the frying pan. I also use a smaller (24cm diameter) stainless steel frying pan and found they could stick to the bottom more easily, so I increased the amount of butter a bit and then it was no problem. With a non-stick frying pan, it is certainly possible to reduce the amount of butter used for each pancake.
The pancakes don't taste much (just like regular pancakes) so I think they work well with both sweet and more savory dishes. If you want, you can of course mix in a little sugar if you know the pancakes will be used for dessert, as well as you can add a little more salt if you know they will be used for savory dishes, but as the recipe is now, I think they go well with whichever.
I didn't notice a big difference in the batter if I left it longer than a few minutes in the fridge, so it's probably more out of habit that I let it rest for up to an hour before using it.
|Energy||2474.88 kcal||309.36 kcal||325 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||102.12 g||12.76 g||13.41 g|
|Fat||215.66 g||26.96 g||28.32 g|
|Protein||39.29 g||4.91 g||5.16 g|
|Sugar||12.11 g||1.51 g||1.59 g|
|Salt||2.44 g||0.3 g||0.32 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (cornstarch, cornmeal, rice flour, salt and xanthan gum) in a bowl.
- Add approx. half of the milk and mix well so that the batter is free of lumps.
- Add the rest of the milk and eggs - mix well.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to an hour.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan and fry approx. 0.8 dl of batter at a time (for a smaller frying pan of 24 cm). Stir the batter between the pancakes.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries/jam.