A classic chicken stew with banana, bacon, cream and chili sauce
This Swedish classic got its name from its creator named Ove Jacobsson who worked with freight forwarding by air. The recipe was first published in 1976.
This particular recipe is slightly different from the original recipe, but I think this turns out really well. First, I use chicken thighs where the original instead uses a whole grilled chicken. It is of course possible to replace the chicken thighs with the meat that is cleaned from a whole grilled chicken. I bought a 960g grilled chicken and got a little over 600g of meat which was enough for 4 people. I also didn't use Italian salad spice because I didn't have any at home at the time, but instead seasoned with a little sriracha (had "tabasco sriracha sauce" at home).
There are also a number of different variations on this recipe. One that uses chanterelle sauce (Flying Lotta), one that has curry powder mixed in the sauce, one vegetarian (Floating Jacob), one with fish (Swimming Jacob) and probably a lot more and of course you can modify it to your own taste.
|Energy||3607.03 kcal||901.76 kcal||227 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||90.73 g||22.68 g||5.71 g|
|Fat||279.35 g||69.84 g||17.58 g|
|Protein||196.08 g||49.02 g||12.34 g|
|Sugar||58.79 g||14.7 g||3.70 g|
|Salt||13.03 g||3.26 g||0.82 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Set the oven to 225°C
- Clean the chicken thighs and cut them into strips (or debone the grilled chicken) and place the meat in an ovenproof dish. Add salt and black pepper.
- Whisk the cream and add the chili sauce (ketchup type, not hot sauce) and mix lightly.
- Spread the cream mixture over the chicken and place the peeled and sliced banana on top.
- Bake in oven, 225°C for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, fry diced bacon and drain on paper.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and sprinkle peanuts and the fried bacon over everything.
- Serve with boiled rice.