Beef Stroganoff with Mushroom
Creamy stroganoff with mushrooms
Here is a recipe for a beef stroganoff which, in addition to beef, also contains mushrooms. The mushroom is not only to reduce the amount of meat but it also gives, in my opinion, a better taste. A truly luxurious variant can e.g. made on beef fillet which has been cooked sous-vide and where mushrooms are replaced by fresh chanterelles. A beef stroganoff is good to cook in larger quantities as the leftovers are perfect for making lunch boxes with.
Choice of meat varies depending on who you ask, but I think most cuts go well. I have used sirloin, tenderloin, sirloin steak, boneless beef inside, beef knuckle and beef rump for this recipe and think it turns out well no matter what you choose. I simply let availability and cost make the choice in the store. However, some cuts of meat take longer to prepare and if you were to use things such as beef chuck, it may need to be prepared separately in e.g. a pressure cooker to be added when everything else is ready.
Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes or pasta. With rice or mash, this becomes an excellent dish to make lunch boxes.
|Energy||3145.92 kcal||786.48 kcal||226 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||40.23 g||10.06 g||2.89 g|
|Fat||280.07 g||70.02 g||20.12 g|
|Protein||125 g||31.25 g||8.98 g|
|Sugar||21.58 g||5.39 g||1.55 g|
|Salt||14.76 g||3.69 g||1.06 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Cut the meat into pieces and fry in oil in batches over high heat. Save the fried meat to the side for later.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Clean the mushroom and cut it into larger pieces.
- Fry onion and mushrooms in butter in a pot until most of the liquid in the mushrooms is gone.
- Add tomato puree and smoked paprika powder. Fry while stirring for a short time.
- Throw in the rest of the ingredients (except the meat which is added last) and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes or pasta. Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley.