A delicious and sour lemon curd
- Servings30 Portions
- AllergensEggs, Milk
- Cook Time30 min
I made this with 2 whole lemons that I first zested and then squeezed with a lemon press. It turned out to be almost exactly 100g of the medium-sized lemons I used. It might be tempting to use pre-squeezed lemon juice, but it usually tastes different to fresh-squeezed lemon, so I wouldn't use pre-squeezed for this recipe.
I've made this with a bowl over a real water bath, but if you're just careful and stir constantly at a medium temperature, it works just as well in a saucepan. You just have to pay attention and learn when it's time to take the pan off the heat. If you want to be extra careful, you can check the temperature of the cream, which should be 83°C when it's time to take it off the heat.
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Pour sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice into a saucepan. Heat on medium heat while stirring constantly.
- It will take a while, but eventually the curd will thicken. Take it off the heat and pour through a sieve into a bowl.
- Add the butter and let it melt while stirring the curd. You can possibly use a hand mixer here, but I think it works just as well just stirring with a spoon.
- Pour the curd into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to a week.