Chicken Madras in slowcooker
A nice variant of madras that is made entirely in a slow cooker
- Servings8 Portions
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time600 min
I have a few Indian recipes on this site already, but here's one that I think turns out really well without too much work. All the cooking is done in the slow cooker and I first make the base and then add what makes this a mattress when there are a few hours of cooking time left. When you cook in the slow cooker, you can use the minimum amount of oil quite a lot.
Just like the other recipes, you can prepare the base and then save on it to then only make the last madras part. The important thing to remember then is that you heat the base to the temperature that the slow cooker maintains on low heat only when we use that heat to cook the chicken. In my slow cooker this takes almost 3 hours from a fridge-cold base so I think it's just as well to cook everything in one go. Regardless, it's important to ensure the chicken is cooked properly - if it's still pink, let everything cook until it's no longer pink.
Since the vegetables for the base will still be blended, I use a household assistant to slice them thinly. It is not necessary, but is faster than cutting everything by hand with a knife.
Of course, you can leave out the chillies if you want a milder dish. This applies to both the habanero in the base and the chillies in the madras. Another option is to clean out the cores and core housings to reduce the heat.
I don't think carrots are part of a classic madras, but in this case I think it fits well. However, it is a dish that can be varied a lot according to taste and preference or what you happen to have in the fridge at the moment. I have also used mustard seeds and zucchini in this dish and it turned out well. You can also leave out the chicken entirely for a vegetarian dish.
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Peel and finely chop all the vegetables for the base, pour them into the slow cooker. The garlic can be peeled and added whole, the ginger should be finely grated.
- Add the other ingredients and put the slow cooker on low temperature, 10 hours.
- When there are about 3 hours left in the slow cooker (the base has cooked for 7 hours), use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker to mix everything into a smooth sauce.
- When there are a little over 3 hours left on the cooking in the slow cooker, prepare the other ingredients (except the bell peppers, which should be added when there are 2 hours left on the slow cooker timer).
- Peel and cut the carrot into rough pieces. Chop the red chili into smaller pieces and possibly remove the seeds for a less spicy dish.
- Add the spices, chili and chutney. Again, use an immersion blender so that the chili and chutney are finely distributed and the spices is well mixed with the base.
- Add the carrot and chicken, stir, put on the lid and then leave for an hour on a low heat.
- When there are 2 hours left in the cooking, add the bell pepper that has been cut into smaller pieces. Put the lid back on and cook for the last 2 hours.
- Serve with rice, naan bread and some fresh chopped coriander.