Cheddar Cheese Pie
A simple pie with cheddar cheese
Here we have a simple pie that is perfect for easter or midsummer buffet which can be served both hot and cold. When I was filming this recipe, I had some chicken filet at home so I served the pie hot and made it into a whole meal instead which also worked well. Had I done something different, I would have chosen to have a bit more cheese and maybe given it a few more minutes in the oven (both the pie crust and the pie).
If you want to simplify this recipe even more, you can of course buy ready-made pie dough, but this dough contains only 3 ingredients and can be quickly thrown together. Having a food processor also makes it easier.
The pie is quite mild in its taste so I usually use a well-aged cheddar or another flavorful cheese to give it a bit more character. You can also add a little cayenne pepper to the egg-mix.
To make this pie more luxurious, you can serve it with roe and creme fraiche (or sour cream). It stays in the fridge for a few days and can also be frozen.
|Energy||3226.86 kcal||403.36 kcal||273 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||155.79 g||19.47 g||13.18 g|
|Fat||243.37 g||30.42 g||20.59 g|
|Protein||108.39 g||13.55 g||9.17 g|
|Sugar||21.04 g||2.63 g||1.78 g|
|Salt||11.35 g||1.42 g||0.96 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the cold butter into smaller pieces.
- Mix briefly in a food processor.
- Add the cold water and mix until crumbly.
- Flatten the dough into a pie tin (the one I use is 24cm in diameter), use a fork to create small holes in the dough so it does not rise in the oven.
- Pre-bake the pie crust in an oven at 200°C, 10-15 minutes.
- Grate the cheese.
- Mix all ingredients except the cheese.
- Toss the grated cheese in the pre-baked pie crust, pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake the pie in the oven, 200°C for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve at a buffet or as a main course with chicken and a little mixed salad.