Classic British dessert with caramel and banana
Sweet and tasty pie with banana, caramel, cream and digestive biscuits.
In this recipe, I make a simple caramel filling with butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk. You can use dulce de leche instead, but I like being able to affect the caramel more. It's not particularly difficult to make it yourself, but of course it's a bit messy so you have to be prepared for that.
The pie dough I make is quite firm, which I like better when I make it in a larger springform pan (24 cm and thus a slightly thinner), but if I use a smaller springform pan, I would probably have reduced the butter by about 25g and maybe added one more digestive biscuit as I otherwise suspect it will be a bit too firm.
As a topping, I used ready-made chocolate shavings as it is convenient, but I have seen many recipes where you instead crush a little daim over which sounds very good.
I made the base and the caramel sauce and left it in the fridge until it was time to serve, but the pie keeps quite well for a few hours in the fridge. It is fine to eat it the next day as well.
|Energy||6126.25 kcal||612.63 kcal||377 kcal|
|Carbohydrates||578.18 g||57.82 g||35.58 g|
|Fat||402.03 g||40.2 g||24.74 g|
|Protein||60.13 g||6.01 g||3.70 g|
|Sugar||430.95 g||43.1 g||26.52 g|
|Salt||6.66 g||0.67 g||0.41 g|
* The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using the ingredients available in the database. Info will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Blend the digestive biscuits into crumbs in a food processor.
- Pour the butter over the crumbs and mix.
- Place a piece of baking paper between the bottom and sides of a springform pan (20-24 cm diameter) and press down.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the mold and make sure there is a small border on the sides.
- Set in the fridge - at least half an hour or so.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with a thick bottom.
- Pour in brown sugar, raise the heat slightly and stir until the brown sugar has melted and mixed with the butter.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, bring to a boil, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the caramel into the chilled pie crust and spread.
- Slice the bananas and lay them out on the caramel.
- Whip the cream and spread on top of the bananas.
- Garnish with grated/chopped chocolate.